black history month 8

"I'm tired of being treated like a second class citizen." - Rosa Parks
stefanie marie
los angeles, ca

Black History Month to me, means a celebration of heritage and civil rights. If it wasnt for Martin Luther King Jr. and many others, America would still be segregated. I think this year is extra special though since we do have our first black President, Mr. Obama. For so long we have been waiting for the day we get a black president and we finally did. It showed me as an American, as a Latina, that the U.S is coming together, little by little and accepting people no matter what race.
I think my two heroes are MLK Jr and Rosa Parks. I have always admired MLK Jr. He spoke of peace and that's all he ever wanted. He preached about how in order to grow as beings an a nation we must come together in peace and accept each other no matter what race we are. Rosa Park stood her ground. In many ways I feel her and I share the same belief system when it comes not budging for no one and compromising our own beliefs. She didn't move from the seat and honestly there have been times where my race was brought up and I refused to back down. She stood her ground not only as an African American Woman, but a Woman.

"A man who wont die for something is not fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"I have learned over the years that when ones mind is made up, this diminishes fear; knowing what must be done does away with fear." - Rosa Parks

1 comments:

Miss Daja February 17, 2010 at 2:28 AM  

i LOVED THIS ONE and i love her picture