A man who won't die for something is not fit to live. -dr. martin luther king jr.


Dear Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
First off I will like to say thank you for all that you have done for me. I know that you do not know me personally but I want you to know and understand that you have impacted my life in so many unimaginable ways. I am sorry that I was never able to personally meet you, but please do know that I always keep you and your legacy in my heart because that is where you belong. The life you lived, fought and died for is one that I am able to live now, one of freedom, it saddens me to know that you were not able to see it in its full bloom. The blood and tears that you, your wife and your followers shed was not invane. You paved the way for all people to become better human being and live a life of freedom and equality. Because of you I was able to get an education all through life and not have to worry about being segregated because I am black or having bombs thrown through my classromm window. Because of you I am now in college and sooner or later on to a career, something that wouldnt have been impossible but indeed very difficult if it had not been for you. My mom and other mothers out there can rest at night knowing that their children are not targeted because of the color of their skin. My little brother can grow as a successful black man in America. Dr. King the legacy of your life is not invane, I know sometimes it must hurt you to see how some in our community fail to live up to their expectations, i know it hurts you because it hurts me, but do know that the very few who do fall victim to feeble minded anticts and crime are not the majority, they are the minority. So many people live for your name including myself. I remember as a child every year we would have to do a book report, a black history report, and pick someone that we look to as an idol, and every year for all three reports I would always choose you. You were my idol as a child and you are still my idol today as an adult. My mother made sure I knew who you were as a child and I thank her everyday for that.
In "Letter from a Birmingham Jail" you state that "Injustice anwywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in a inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly" thank you for these words. You may not know it because many dont but these words replay in my head over and over and over again. The more I think about it the more sense it makes to me. The more i live my life and travel the world the more I hear you speak to me. I have opened my eyes, I no longer walk around with low lids, its impossible, its dangerous. At the end of the day I hope your legacy will continue forever and that your life and spirit will impact many others as it has impacted me.
I AM MARTIN LUTHER KING JR.

1 comments:

Robyn Latice January 19, 2010 at 9:19 PM  

This is beautiful. I agree. Thanks for sharing!