friendship has no color






i am aware that there are people in this world that are ignorant. no two people think alike and not everyone will always agree on certain things, especially sensitive subjects such as race, i am aware of this. i can tolerate difference. i can tolerate someones opinion (even if i may not agree with it,) what i can't tolerate though is ignorance.

for the first time in a long time i felt heartbroken today. not because of something a family member or friend did to me, but because of what a stranger said to me. i never felt so crushed before i have cried over a break up or other simple things. ive cried. but today i was so hurt and mad that not one tear fell from my eyes.

today i was in the health center at my university and i ran into one of my friends loren (pink shirt in pictures on top) since loren and i have both been extremely busy i havent seen her in a while but we still call and text one another at least once a week to check on one another. anyway we were in the health center and suprised we ran into one another so we hugged one another and was talking all of a sudden someone says " oh my gosh, what the fuck" of course i did not think the comment was towards us cause all we were doing was hugging and talking. so loren and i continue to talk and the same voice says to another person "do you see that shit, what the fuck is she doing hugging that black girl, west ga need to stop admitting these people." ok at this point i knew exactly who she was talking about... ME... i was disgusted... excuse me how dare you call me "these people" and what is wrong with us being friends. i have never been so disrespected, and infront of a room of like 60 people. it wasnt the fact that it was in public, it was the fact that she felt the need to say what she said and its sad that she feels that way. loren apologized to me for something a stranger to both her and i said, she felt the need to because they were both white. i told her it was not needed, skin color does not mean that any two people are the same. i dont want anyone to apologize to me or feel bad for me because i dont feel bad for myself, its the reality of the world we live in, but i just thought that in 2009 we will be striving towards progress but it feels as though as a society and nation we have been stagnant

although i am upset and mad as ever i honestly feel for her. someone who can be so evil and dark seriously needs help. how could you look at me and automatically assume that because i am black i can only be friends with those of my own race. i thought the purpose of college was to experience new things, expand your horizons && meet new people, but ever since i have started college it has been the complete upset. people out here in this small town are so closed minded its scary.

friendship is not defined through color. i am embrace everyone and thankfully i have been blessed enough to come across enough people who have embraced me regardless of my skin color, but unfortunately there are still people out there who can't open their hearts to except people regardless of differences.

*pictures on top are of my sister, loren, sar, bec and myself... and guess what they are some of my closest friends*

5 comments:

Unknown September 15, 2009 at 7:35 AM  

there was a party....

xxxx September 15, 2009 at 8:07 AM  

yeah we party together most of the time..

Ti Dickenson September 15, 2009 at 8:49 AM  

sure dont I love my LC.

CoogieCruz September 15, 2009 at 11:39 PM  

I can relate....most of the time I am the only person that isn't black with the group...at my bday party they were like "Lena you really have nothing but black friends uh?" I was the only speck of beige. It is sad that this is the world we live in today.

tha unpretentious narcissist© September 28, 2009 at 2:36 PM  

wow that was crazy & uncalled for. maybe because i'm a dude i've had the reverse happen. when i went to GA Tech i had this lil leprechaun friend (inside joke) and everytime one of his friends saw us hanging or talking they instantly came up to me and started calling me "bro" and asking to hang out. like i was gonna give them a black pass. i think if i would have heard someone say what they said around you i probably would have given them a new jaw.